The RequirementsTo meet the minimum requirements for the Audio Visual Design Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- 5+ years of A/V experience
- Or, a strong IT background, some experience and deep interest in A/V, and the drive and aptitude to learn quickly
- Excellent customer relation skills with customer facing experience or the interpersonal skills and the disposition to learn to serve as a design consultant for customers
- Strong technical and troubleshooting skills
- Solid computer software skills including MS Office applications; Visio
- Self-motivation and a commitment to delivering high quality projects on time and on budget
- The ability to work effectively as a team member
- The drive to remain current on technologies and trends
- A valid driver's license and reliable transportation
- Professional certifications such CTS, CTS-D, CTS-I
- CAD skills
- Strong video, audio control systems, IT and/or networking experience is a plus
- A bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Electronics
The RoleAs Audio Visual Design Engineer, you will work for your project team, under the guidance of the Design Coach, and be responsible for designing Unified Communications projects on time, on budget and to our customer’s highest satisfaction. On a daily basis you will be accountable for generating functional drawings, proofing CAD drawings generated by our CAD department, validating materials lists and creating accurate and complete releases for equipment needing to be purchased to meet project specifications.
Specifically, in the following project phases you will:
- Attend the kick-off meeting
- Initiate Initial Project Review (IPR) with Account Manager, and Project Manager to discuss the project, scope and approach to the design
- Design to detail the following items for inclusion in the design packet, then send to the CAD team as a CAD request:
- Audio Single line
- Video Single line
- Control drawings
- Rack elevations
- Conduct IDR (Initial Design Review) with PM, Account Manager and Project Team
- Validate that the equipment list is accurate and all system elements (e.g. cable, connectors, rack plates, etc.) are present and needed
- Perform value engineering by working with Project Team and Purchasing to use either less expensive equipment or equipment from the warehouse
- Create equipment releases and work with Project Team and Project Manager to ensure that all gear is ordered for in house rack build and on-site installation
- Generate cable labels, pull lists, and other items needed for drawing package
- Assemble, approve and sign-off all final drawing packages
- Answer any questions from the in-house rack building team
- Setup VTC or ATC systems at the shop
- Load programming code into system for testing
- Conduct in-house testing of system; configure all system components
- Update drawings and equipment lists with changes that come up during rack build process
- Assist with in-house acceptance test as needed
- Be available to generate any short notice equipment releases based upon findings in the field
- Ensure as-built is reviewed and correct before giving them to the customer
- Conduct final system commissioning
- Provide customer training
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Pictured: Images from Spinitar's state-of-the-art showroom in Newport Beach.
Why SpinitarProfessional growth through certifications -- at Spinitar we believe strongly in certifications and will pay for you to earn those you don't already have!
Visibility -- while you'll work with and receive direction from the Design Coach, team members ultimately report to the CEO. The CEO -- an IT expert with deep AV experience (he is a past president of InfoComm) -- takes a personal interest in the teams and the work they produce, meaning you'll have visibility at the top and your successes will be noticed!
Teams built for success – our teams are cohesive units that are built for success. They are self-driven and maintain a group reporting dynamic where each member is accountable to every other member. In other words, the standards are set and the group as a whole motivates and supports each individual. Anyone not pulling their weight is visible team-wide and weak links don't last. In fact, bonuses and rewards are tied to team results making it even more imperative that each member is pulling their weight. Of course, that's not a negative thing. People enjoy working on high-achieving teams and have fun in the process.
Career growth opportunities -- while you could be happy and challenged in this role for years to come, once you prove yourself, other opportunities could become available. This role is being added to accommodate our strong growth and we anticipate that strong growth will continue to provide opportunities for our proven performers.
Wide exposure -- our customers include Fortune 500 companies, top law firms, government, healthcare, education organizations, and other high profile companies/industries. They have complex audio visual needs and network requirements. That means you'll be exposed to a variety of challenges and work on interesting projects. We don't do cookie cutter work, but create solutions to meet individual needs.
Fun and transparent environment -- people like working at Spinitar, as demonstrated by the long tenure of our staff, and it’s not difficult to understand why. We work hard and have high standards, but we also enjoy the benefits of a transparent, tight knit team environment and we like to have fun. For example, once per quarter we have a “State of the Union” breakfast to ensure we’re all on the same page regarding where the company is and where we’re going. We also enjoy some great perks: each year you will eligible to participate in our “roll out the red carpet” Chairman's Club trip to an exciting destination such as Maui or Cancun. The winners are voted on by both peers and customers, and entire teams can be rewarded when meeting top goals. In addition, after 10 years with the company, you’re rewarded with a 3-day cruise!
Excellent compensation -- in addition to a competitive wage and bonus opportunity, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including all you would expect, such as health and other insurances, a 401(k) plan and paid time off, and a few surprises, such as a laptop computer and smartphone.
Pictured: Images from Spinitar's state-of-the-art showroom in Newport Beach.
Keys to SuccessAt Spinitar, we manage workflow via a team paradigm. You will always be with the same team in order to maintain a high level of confidence for our customers and ensure consistency across projects. For our customers that means that the knowledge gained on their first project will not be lost because the same team will return for the second, third and any subsequent projects. As such, building relationships with the clients and with your teammates will be a key element of your job and crucial to your success.
You and your team will help make Spinitar a fun, profitable, world-class and customer intimate provider and integrator of audio visual solutions. Additionally, you will be accountable for:
- Equipment is ordered accurately and in a timely manner
- Designs get through the system quickly and are thoroughly reviewed
- Project documentation standards followed
- 90% or your projects are signed off within 30 days of the beginning of commissioning
- Estimated hours are met on 90% of yours projects
- 70% of your time is spent on billable activities
- Current industry certification
- A customer satisfaction rating or greater than 4.5
- A log of project activity, to be updated daily, on Spintar’s proprietary system
About SpinitarSpinitar is a privately owned, full-service audio visual company. Our custom technology solutions and services have helped clients in a wide array of market segments to improve communication and reach audiences more effectively.
A few Spinitar facts:
- Founded in 1986
- Over 100 working professionals
- Locations throughout California
- Service provided nationally
- Named among the industry's top fifty integrators in the nation
Video: Spinitar showroom build time lapse. Please see the related images under the Role and Why tabs.